10 June 2011

Anti-Semitism

I actually contemplated writing this post as my first entry when I started this blog, but felt like I should wait.  Well, the waiting is over.  I have been struck again by the need to write about anti-Semitism.  I'm sure that it is quite obvious from the posts on my blog that I don't have much love towards the government of Israel.  I do feel though that some readers may perceive my anti state of Israel stance as anti-Semitic.  I say this, because it is a common label given to people and organizations that speak up about the less than stellar actions of the Israeli government.  I have not, as of yet, received any comments or other messages from people to indicate that my blog has been viewed in this light, but I still feel that it is important for me to make it perfectly clear that my intent here is in no way fueled by malicious motives.

© Chad Card
My goal for this blog is to make people aware of the situations that are not reported or are reported with specific biases.  Of course, I am just as biased, but my biases are based on personal experiences in the region of the Middle East.  I have no sponsorship to which I must be loyal and I like it that way.  I have become so frustrated listening to the news and politicians because there is such a slant when it comes to the Middle East, which has been perpetuated for decades.  I have a few colleagues in my degree program with whom I can discuss these matters and I can also yell at the television, which I have been know to do, but this doesn't solve the problem.  Glenn Beck's call for a gathering in Jerusalem to support Israel was the straw that broke the camel's back and I could no longer relieve my frustrations by singing to the choir, although I know some of you are reading this.  I am hopefully reaching many more people who may not have been aware of the situations as they are, because our media and political outlets are not structured to provide us with this information.

Western Wall  © Chad Card
Back to addressing anti-Semitism.  The term anti-Semitism was coined by Wilhelm Marr, a German,  in 1879.  His coining of the word was not for the purpose of human rights awareness, but rather to celebrate an aversion towards Jews.  As you can also read in the link above, although this term has been purely associated with the hatred of Jews, especially since the atrocities of the Holocaust, anti-Semitism actually means a hatred of Semites, which includes Jews, Arabs, Ethiopians and other indigenous groups in the Middle East and Northeastern Africa.  Anti-Semitism is not an accurate term to describe a dislike or hatred of the Jews because it includes these other people as well.  Only one who hates all Semites could truly be called anti-Semitic.

Nevertheless, the origins of the word and its true meaning do not negate its actual usage and meaning and that is what I want to address in this post.  I have spent much of my adult life traveling to countries in Europe, the Middle East and Asia.  As an American, I have had to bear the burden of representing the United States.  I have lost track of how many people have said to me that they hate the US government, but they love Americans.  This is the general response I get from people, usually within the first five minutes of meeting.  One the the most memorable meetings was while I was living in Berlin, Germany.  I had gone to a nearby café with my roommates and we met a man who was quite amicable to us until we told him we were from America.  He became both visibly and verbally angry, but it was not directed at us--his hatred was towards the government.  We learned that he was from Iraq and he still had family there about whom he worried.  Sadi and his German wife Petra became two of our best friends while we were in Berlin.  I share this, because I believe the many reports that have come to us for decades via our media and politicians about those who hate America are misleading us and perpetuating mutual animosity.  I would wager that the majority of people who "hate" America do not hate Americans, but have serious difficulties with our government.  Is that really hard to imagine?  I know there are plenty of issues that have sparked my disdain for our politicians.

Banksy's statement on the occupation  © Chad Card
My comments about Israel should also be interpreted in the same light.  My issues have nothing to do with Israelis or Jews, but are specifically concerned with the Israeli government.  However, the issues I have are issues I have with any government that imprisons a minority population and violates international laws for the purposes of "security".  The United States would have to be included in that group given the Japanese-American internment camps created in the US during World War II.  This type of action is reprehensible and I cannot support it.  However, does this mean I hate America and secretly wish for its destruction?  Of course not!  There are many actions that our government has taken in the past and even currently with which I do not agree, but I love America and I am proud to be an American.  I can't say that I haven't also been ashamed to be an American at times.  We are a nation that is built on the ideals of freedom, liberty, equality, and brotherhood about which I am proud, but when our government or people act in a manner that is not in harmony with our ideals I find it difficult to be proud.

I likewise feel the same about Israel.  I do not believe that Israel should be destroyed or harmed in any way.  Do I think the creation of an Israeli state in Palestine was the smartest act of western intervention? No, but it is a reality and it is important to treat Israel as any other nation with sovereign rights.  What this also means is that we can't keep our blinders on when it comes to Israel.  We don't do that with other nations and I can guarantee you that other nations don't do that with us.  We have to stand up for what is right because that is the foundation upon which our nation has been built.  When we stop standing up for what is right, we threaten the very essence of our nation.  Exploiting another people because it is in the "best interest" of our nation is not the same thing as standing up for what is right, plus many of the things that have been pursued for the "best interest" of our nation have come back to bite us hard in the proverbial behind.

Christianity, Islam and Judaism represented  © Chad Card
Site of the disagreement © Luke Lavin

I guess I haven't come out and declared that I am not an anti-Semite, so to be clear, I am not an anti-Semite.  I don't feel like I have to make such a statement because I think my intentions are clear.  However, I don't want there to be any lingering doubts.  I have never had any negative feelings for or experiences with Israelis or Jews, except for a verbal argument with a border guard, which is another story.  I have many friends who are Jewish and I could not forgive myself if they ever felt I was attacking them.  I'm sure there are many that disagree with my positions and opinions, but I feel confident that those who know me, know that I have no malevolence towards anyone.  I encourage disagreement, because it is through such an exchange that we can grow.  Sure it is hard to have someone disagree with something about which one is passionate, especially if that someone is a close relative or friend, but disagreements should never be considered hatred or lead to it.  We need to quit the mentality of "if you're not with us then you're against us," and realize that our differences and disagreements are the very elements that provide us with the greatest opportunities for growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment