30 January 2013

LEAP: Learning for the Empowerment and Advancement of Palestinians

This post is a small, but related, divergence from the normal subject matter of this blog. I recently applied to be a volunteer English teacher for the Learning for the Empowerment and Advancement of Palestinians (LEAP) Program this summer in Lebanon. Last week, I received notification that I was selected as a volunteer to work in the Rashidieh refugee camp in Tyre, Lebanon. I am very excited to be able to use my skills as a teacher to help Palestinian children gain the skills they need to be successful and to imagine and hope for a better future for themselves and their families.

The time that I spent traveling around the West Bank brought me into contact with many Palestinian children and they have a great excitement for life, just like all other children. Unfortunately, their circumstances can lead them down a road of despair and possible hatred if they are not provided with the means to better their position. No matter what the politics are in any given situation, if we neglect the children, we have done the most damage and we have aided in the perpetuation of conflict for generations to come.

It is my hope to play a small part in ending the vicious cycle of hatred and intolerance that is perpetuated by neglect and indifference. I plan on continuing this blog this summer while I am in the refugee camp in order to provide updates on the work that is being accomplished and to share my personal experiences. It is my hope that you will be interested in following along with the events that will transpire.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! You're going to love teaching the kids in the refugee camp. Polish up your chess skills because if the Palestinian kids in Lebanon are anything like the ones in the West Bank, they like chess and you'll become really popular really quickly if you play with them.

    ReplyDelete